Sponsored by UOP and the Catalysis Club of Chicago
The Catalysis Club of Chicago is soliciting nominations for the Herman Pines Award for outstanding research in the field of catalysis. Herman Pines was an outstanding research scientist, and his work revolutionized the general understanding of organic chemistry, particularly the chemistry of hydrocarbons interacting with strong acids. The Award in his honor is co-sponsored by UOP, where Herman Pines began his industrial career in 1930 and amassed 145 US patents, and by the Catalysis Club of Chicago of which Herman Pines was a founding member.
The Award will be presented at the 2012 Catalysis Club of Chicago Spring Symposium and consists of a plaque, a cash award of $1,000 and reimbursement for travel and lodging as a plenary speaker at the Spring Symposium.
The nominee must meet the following criteria:
- Great achievements of catalysis research in the past five years
- For year 2012, the award will be given to an Industrial researcher
- Active member in catalysis community
- A resident of North America
Deadline for nomination is February 29, 2012. Nomination should describe the specific work for which the nominee should be recognized. Complete curriculum vitae with letters of support for the nominee must be included in the nomination, together with the description of work.
Letters of nomination and supporting documentation must be sent by February 29, 2012 as a single PDF document to:
President – The Catalysis Club of Chicago (2011-2012)
UOP LLC, A Honeywell Company
Des Plaines, IL 60017
List of past award recipients of the Herman Pines Award:
- 1999 Prof. Harold Kung – Northwestern University
- 2000 Dr. John Monnier – Eastman Chemical Company
- 2001 Prof. Lanny Schmidt – University of Minnesota
- 2002 Dr. James Brazdil – BP
- 2003 Prof. James Dumesic – University of Wisconsin
- 2004 Dr. Alak Bhattacharyya – BP
- 2005 Prof. Israel Wachs – Lehigh University
- 2006 Dr. Jeff Miller – BP
- 2007 Prof. Chunshan Song – Pennsylvania State University
- 2008 Dr. Aleksey Yezerets – Cummins Inc.
- 2009 Prof. Tobin Marks – Northwestern University
- 2010 Dr. James Rekoske – UOP
- 2011 Prof. Jingguang Chen – University of Delaware